The building was completed in 1871, with the upper story housing the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges, and the ground floor housing a hardware store, along with agricultural implements, wagons, buggies, and, of course, buggy whips. While the current store no longer carries buggies, it does have an inventory of about 70,000 items.
The current owner, Syl Lucena, has worked there since 1956, became a partner in 1963, and purchased it in 1972. His three sons also work there, along with others; and, it has the feeling of a “real for sure” family-owned, general store, complete with wooden floors and narrow aisles.
In addition to the nuts, bolts, screws, wire, plumbing equipment, saws, shovels, hammers and ladders one would expect to find in a hardware store, they also carry kitchen appliances, pots and pans, coffee makers, kettles, teapots, cookingware, grills, garden products, signs (dozens of signs), clocks—well, you get the idea.
But don’t go there expecting to buy a buggy whip. They stopped carrying those in the late 80’s!